Through this article we will show you a simple, fast and easy method for everyone to make a mask with a simple bandana, without having to sew.
At the end of this article, you will be able to make your own mask in a few minutes!
I - The method to make a mask with a bandana
Materials needed :
First of all, here is the list of materials you will need to make your mask seamless:
- A standard size square bandana : 22 Inch (55cm x 55cm)
- 2 elastic bands (classic elastic bands, for hair or similar)
Indeed, you will need something to keep the mask in place on your face. We recommend hair bands or hair clips to secure them to your ears, but if you don't have them, or if you prefer, you can also use laces, string or ribbon that you can tie to the back of your head.
Bonus Material (for perfecting, but not essential) :
- Coffee filter or paper towel to add an extra layer of protection against potentially harmful particles in the air.
II - Tutorial on how to make your mask with a bandana
1. Lay your bandana flat (Optional: Place a flat coffee filter in the center of the bandana)
2. Fold the top and bottom of the bandana towards the center (in the horizontal direction).
3. Repeat the operation again
4. Pass a rubber band around each end of the folded bandana, and fold the ends in the center. (PS: If using laces or string, place the center of the string in the fold and tighten the straps).
5. Tuck the ends of the fabric into each other.
6. Place the mask on your face and attach the straps: for hair ties and elastics, pass them over each ear. For the laces and string, tie them behind your head.
Adjust as needed, making sure that your mouth and nose are completely covered and that the mask allows you to breathe without restriction.
There you go! Your mask is ready!
Don't forget: it is recommended to wash your mask or face cover, in this case your bandana, regularly in the machine, especially if you wear the mask frequently.
III - What is the best fabric for a face mask?
The best fabric for a homemade face mask is a tightly woven fabric, preferably 100% cotton.
You can use a bandana (or alternatively, fabric from pillowcases, curtains, woven shirts or any other fabric you may have at home).
You can also use a t-shirt, but this is not our first choice because the fabric is knitted (i.e. it can create holes when it stretches).
IV - Bandana mask: contra-indication
Some people should NOT use cloth masks, such as :
- Children under 2 years of age
- Anyone who is having difficulty breathing, unconscious, or unable to remove the mask without assistance.
Fabric masks are NOT surgical masks or N95 respirators. They remain a substitute alternative.
For optimal protection always prefer official masks to standard masks DIY. We recommend that you visit the public health website to know the latest recommendations in effect.
And here you are now able to easily and quickly make your own mask. You can customize it endlessly according to the color and pattern of the bandana you choose!
The bandana is thus, a very versatile accessory and there are hundreds of ways to wear a bandana. It also makes it possible, as you have seen through this article, to make many accessories (DIY). For example, you can make your own bandana!